Niels Røine EVP Communications, Norwegian Olympic/Paralympic Committee
AFTERNOON KEYNOTE: “Play, Teamwork, and Performance—or How to Rule the Olympics”
- Winter Olympics 2018, Norway won 39 medals, 14 gold, most of any country for winter Olympics; “skiing has always been at the heart of our culture” back to 12th century. Slogan: “We are still pioneering.” Start with childhood; want the kids to be outside, summer and winter. Skiing culture is the foundation for all the winter sports.
- One purpose to Norwegian sport: to have joy. Different from emphasis of other countries, including USA. Question: what’s in it for the kids? They have to have joy, and feel that they can manage. Slogan for kids: “I manage.” Last year, 93% of all Norwegian children were in a sports club. 12,000 winter sports clubs.
- In Norway, the usual four major sports organizations (national Olympic Committee for example) are in one organization. “A free, open, and democratic popular movement.” Not organized through schools, aim for volunteer engagement.
- Values: Honesty; Health; Community; Love of Sport.
- Emphasis on leadership; democratic but when decisions are made, everyone has the expectation to follow. Later, evaluation can be made to make changes.
- Basic philosophy: Learning from the best athletes; cross-sports experiences; 24-hour-a-day athletes
- Always asking questions; “the best athletes always ask the best questions”
- Digital world; now “e-sport” will be very important in Norway