Megan McManes (MM), next speaker:
Design Thinking: Thinking Inside & Outside the Box – Megan McNames, Product Owner, Emplify
- Likes design thinking as a concept and approach to work. Her blog post on company site on this topic is their most popular.
- Design thinking is the INNOVATION at the center of three circles of product requirements: Desirable|Feasible|Viable
- MM suggests three critical stages in design thinking: Inspiration>Ideation>Implementation
- “It’s a process of going wide and then narrowing.”
- Inspiration depends on Divergent Thinking in problem exploration
- Convergence finds the patterns of the data we are bringing in, then reassembling with basic themes that emerge; called “Affinity Mapping.”
- MM likes to print many things out. This is helpful to keep track of the many data points that come when you are doing research.
- In design, you have to be able to relish the answers users give when you ask: “Tell me what you HATE about our product.”
- How to generate divergent solutions: defer judgment; reward quantity over quality; share ideas and ask people build on them
- “Design thinking is for everybody.” It’s nonlinear. “Less about stages, and more about spaces.” “It’s really a series of overlapping spaces.”